Project Design is a very broad topic and an element of design goes into every project with which we are involved. From an engineering point of view design is the creation of a plan and or specifications for the construction of an object or a system (as in architectural blueprints, engineering drawings, business processes, circuit diagrams). The idea of design has different connotations in different fields. In some cases the direct construction of an object (engineering, management and graphic design) is also considered to be design.
- (noun) a specification of an object, manifested by an agent, intended to accomplish goals, in a particular environment, using a set of primitive components, satisfying a set of requirements, subject to constraints;
- (verb, transitive) to create a design, in an environment (where the designer operates)
- Another definition for design is a roadmap or a strategic approach for someone to achieve a unique expectation. It defines the specifications, plans, parameters, costs, activities, processes and how and what to do within legal, political, social, environmental, safety and economic constraints in achieving that objective. Here, a “specification” can be manifested as either a plan or a finished product, and “primitives” are the elements from which the design object is composed.
- Work with Stakeholders in gathering the requirements for the project.
- Work with Stakeholders in developing project plan, budget and schedule.
- Prepare design layouts and sketches according to AscenTrust, LLC. design standards.
- Stay abreast with latest developments in design technologies and techniques.
- Address design related queries and concerns in a timely manner.
- Provide assistance and conduct trainings to team members when required.
- Work with design team in prioritizing, planning and executing several projects efficiently.
- Propose effective design solutions to meet project goals.
- Review and recommend improvements to existing designs.
- Follow company policies and design standards.
- Develop cost reduction initiatives while maintaining quality and production.
- Provide assistance in project design and development activities based on customer requirements.
- Develop design documentations, technical specifications and other project related documentations as needed.
- Attend project meetings to discuss about any issues and new design ideas.
- Analyze design issues and suggest corrective actions.
- Oversee change order management and document filing activities.
Design and Engineering
In engineering, design is a component of the engineering process. Many overlapping methods and processes can be seen when comparing Product design, Industrial design and Engineering. The American Heritage Dictionary defines design as: “To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent,” and “To formulate a plan”, and defines engineering as: “The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.”. Both are forms of problem-solving with a defined distinction being the application of “scientific and mathematical principles”. The increasingly scientific focus of engineering in practice, however, has raised the importance of new more “human-centered” fields of design. How much science is applied in a design is a question of what is considered “science”. Along with the question of what is considered science, there is social science versus natural science.
More formally design may be defined as follows:
Components of Project Design
With such a broad denotation, there is no universal language or unifying institution for designers of all disciplines. This allows for many differing philosophies and approaches toward the subject. The person designing is called a designer, which is also a term used for people who work professionally in one of the various design areas, usually also specifying which area is being dealt with.
A designer’s sequence of activities is called a design process. Designing often necessitates considering the aesthetic, functional, economic and sociopolitical dimensions of both the design object and design process. It may involve considerable research, thought, modeling, interactive adjustment, and re-design.
Meanwhile, diverse kinds of processes or objects may be designed, including electrical delivery systems, infrastructure such as water and sewer treatment facilities, high rise and mid-rise structure, parking garages and even such soft projects as software, graphical user interfaces, corporate identities, business processes and even methods of designing.
The most important components of Project Design are outlined below: